Crumble is a great dessert to feed a crowd. I like to make mine with an oat & almond crumble topping and vary the fruit to whatever is in season. Rhubarb is one of my favourite versions, I've thrown a handful of strawberries into this one too for good measure and perfect for this time of year when strawberry and rhubarb are in season for a short while. Enjoy it as it is or maybe with a little cream or coconut cream for those with dairy intolerances, you could also sub the butter in the topping for coconut oil.
- 900g rhubarb, trimmed and chopped into small chunks
- 2 oranges, juiced
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 handful strawberries, hulled and quartered
Oat & almond topping:
- 175g rolled oats
- 100g ground almonds
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 125g butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Place the rhubarb into a ceramic ovenproof dish with the orange juice and vanilla extract. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile to prepare the topping mix the oats, ground almonds and coconut sugar together in a bowl. Pour over the melted butter and stir to combine.
- Remove the rhubarb from the oven and stir through the sliced strawberries. Scatter the oat topping over the top of the rhubarb, then place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until lightly golden on top.