When you are lucky enough to have fresh globe artichokes available near you and in season, there is nothing better than simply cooking them on the grill and serving with a delicious homemade aioli. It makes for a stunning sharing platter to begin a meal or as part of a larger mezze style dinner.
- 3 artichokes, trimmed
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 250ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea-salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and the squeezed lemon juice.
- Cut the artichokes in half lengthways.
- Place the artichoke halves into the bowl to prevent browning.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil.
- Cook the artichokes for about 15 minutes over a medium heat.
- Meanwhile begin heating a grill pan or barbecue.
- Drain the artichokes and brush with a little a little olive oil.
- Grill the artichokes for about 10 minutes or until lightly chargrilled and cooked through.
- Crush the garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt.
- Whisk the garlic paste, egg yolks, dijon mustard and cider vinegar together.
- Add the oil a little at a time, whisking constantly.
- By the time all of the oil has been added you should have a thick, glossy mayonnaise.
- Taste and add more salt, black pepper or vinegar as necessary.