The thought of jam cookies bring about warm childhood memories. This version is vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free and grain-free but still managed to pass the kiddy taste test. These little nuggets of joy are the perfect treat to have with a cup of tea or coffee when you are craving something sweet. I used a homemade raspberry jam made with unrefined sugar to spoon into the centre of the cookie, you could also make your own chia jam if you are looking for a lower sugar option. Health foods shop also stock low sugar jams that are sweetened with fruit and natural fruit juices.
- 4 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 175g ground almonds
- ¼ tsp bread soda
- Pinch of sea-salt
- 2 tbsp raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas 3.
- Lay a sheet of baking paper on a baking tray.
- Whisk together the coconut oil, maple syrup & vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl mix the ground almonds, bread soda and sea-salt together.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients & stir to combine.
- Scoop tablespoons of the mix into your hands and shape into balls.
- Place these down on the prepared baking sheet and using your finger make a small indent in the middle.
- Spoon a tiny bit of jam into each indent, then transfer to the oven to bake for about 10 minutes or until golden.