Sometimes you just need the crunch of a good cookie. On this occasion I was craving something chocolaty but a little healthier than the shop bought sugar-laden variety. The result was this recipe which is free from refined sugar, gluten and dairy but still tastes really good and provides that all important crunch.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp bread soda
- 1/4 tsp sea-salt
- 100g dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Lay a sheet of baking paper on a baking tray.
- Mix together the coconut oil and maple syrup.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract, whisk together gently.
- Place the ground almonds, bread soda, sea-salt and chocolate chips into a separate mixing bowl.
- Pour over the wet ingredients and mix together well.
- Scoop small balls of the cookie dough using an ice-cream scoop.
- Place these on the prepared baking tray and flatten with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack before enjoying.